The Goods & Services Tax Practitioners’ Association of Maharashtra (formerly known as The Sales Tax Practitioners’ Association of Maharashtra / STPAM) is a State-level body of Sales Tax Practitioners’ established in the year 1951. The Association has its membership spread all over the State of Maharashtra comprising of Tax Practitioners and other professionals such as Chartered Accountants, Cost Accountants, Company Secretaries andAdvocates practicing in GST, VAT, Service tax and allied laws. The Association has Regional Centres at district places to cater to the needs of members practicing in various districts of Maharashtra.
The STPAM now renamed as GSTPAM is governed by its own constitution and is registered with the Charity Commissioner and also under the Societies Act. The elected President, Officer Bearers and 15 members of the Managing Committee conduct the activities of the Association.
Its main object is to educate the public in general and the members in particular on Indirect Taxes operative in the State of Maharashtra and whole of India.
The STPAM has produced stalwarts like Late R. V. Patel, Late N. C. Mehta, Late B. C. Joshi, P. V. Surte, S. S. Gaitonde, P. C. Joshi, T. M. Chhatpar and Late J. K. Sheth, to name a few. The Association is marching ahead with full confidence under their guidance to achieve its objects and the young generation is taking over the leadership gradually from them and these stalwarts in turn have reposed their full confidence in the young leadership.
With the advent of GST, the Association, now known as the GST Practitioners’ Association of Maharashtra has started spreading awareness and knowledge on GST and has taken a big leap into the goods and service tax arena for educating its members.
Last but not the least, whenever our motherland faces natural calamities or neighbour’s aggression, the association is always in the forefront to render monetary help.
The highlights of activities of GSTPAM are as under :
- Publication of its journal ‘Sales Tax Review’ on 25th of every month.
- Maintaining up-to-date library with the latest and important books on Sales Tax, Allied Laws and all other books and e-library.
- Holding Study Circle Meetings, Workshops, Seminars/Conferences, and Non-Residential and Residential Refresher Courses in India and abroad.
- Holding ‘Guidance Cell Meetings’ at Mazgaon Library.
- Circulation of Short Notes on Tribunal decisions and full text of important Tribunal decisions.
- Conducting coaching class, holding Mock Tribunal, orientation course and Intensive Study Course.
- Circulation of Gazettes and Trade Circulars.
- To bring out small booklets immediately after amendments to Sales Tax and Allied Laws, at a nominal price.
- To hold meetings to educate the public on Sales Tax and other matters of public interest.
- Make Representations to appropriate authorities in the interests of trade, commerce and industry.
- To keep continuing the interaction and co-operation with other professional bodies for holding seminars and cultural/sports activities.
- STPAM has been a member of Advisory Committee of the Government of Maharashtra which is formed to obtain suggestions and recommendations for proper administration in the interests of trade, commerce and industry.
- Publication of GSTPAM News Bulletin on 10th of every month to cover short notes on recent important decisions of the Maharashtra Sales Tax Tribunal and to provide the news to members about the activities of the STPAM and other relevant information.
- Members can also login to the website ‘www.gstpam.org’. It contains the Sales Tax Review, News Bulletin, Trade Circulars, Acts, Rules, Notifications, DDQs, Important Judgments etc. Members can also get information about forthcoming events of the Association & latest updates on the ever evolving law.